We are currently recruiting for an Income Recovery Officer in Oldbury.
Pay rate: £14.17 per hour.
Hours: 37hrs per week.
Contract duration: Temporary ongoing
The Service is responsible for managing, monitoring and recovering arrears of rent and other housing related charges from current and former tenants. A key objective is to combine the effective recovery of arrears with the provision of a high-quality customer-focused advice, assistance and support service. You will be a key player in ensuring prompt and effective early action is taken to control and recover outstanding arrears to eviction stage and other associated debts.
– To contribute to the provision of a high quality, customer focussed Income and Money Advice Service with a focus on prevention and tenancy sustainment whilst To build effective professional relationships with customers and stakeholders, maintaining professionalism.
– To undertake all aspects of income and debt recovery casework in accordance with relevant procedures, ensuring that action is prompt and appropriate utilising all avenues of recovery including but not limited to letter, telephone, e-mail and home visits.
– To prepare cases for submission to Court and represent SMBC in the possession and eviction cases as required. To be fully conversant with the client’s procedures including liaison with Court officials, Bailiffs and Legal Services as required.
– To evaluate the financial position of customers who have an outstanding debt and are finding it difficult to make payments, to provide customers with practical support and advice to clear their debt, manage and budget their income to sustain their tenancy.
– To provide initial advice on housing benefit/universal credit and other welfare benefits liaising with and making referrals to the relevant agencies, ensuring that regular updates are obtained to secure an effective outcome.
– To contribute to and implement practical measures to mitigate the impact of Welfare Reform, ensuring always that the relevant legislation is utilised to secure an outstanding debt, i.e. applying for Third Party Deductions, Managed Payments and Discretionary Housing Payments.
– To maintain accurate records/files relating to customers with an outstanding debt, ensuring that such records are updated in a timely manner, are clear, accurate and concise and where relevant identify any key legal dates/outcomes.
Skills and Experience:
- Literacy level 2 (or equivalent) and Numeracy Level 2 (or equivalent)
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience of working in a rent arrears recovery/income collection environment
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- A performance-driven work ethos
- A desire to help customers to sustain their tenancies
- Highly organised and understand the importance of attention to detail
- A good working knowledge of arrears management procedures and processes
- Ability to use own initiative when supporting vulnerable customers and dealing with complex arrears cases
- A good working knowledge of Universal Credit
- Income Management experience
Apply online or contact Terri O’Keefe on 07879 585551. You can also email email@example.com for more information on this role.