We are currently recruiting for a Payroll Officer in Godmanchester.
Pay rate: PAYE 13.92 per hour
Contract duration: Temporary ongoing
Produce and administer the payrolls for Police Officers, Police Staff, Specials and volunteers, Police Pensioners and the office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, effectively and efficiently. Provide guidance and support to pensioners and personnel at all levels within the organisation. Police Pensions and Local Government Pension Scheme administration.
- Efficient and effective preparation, administration, processing, and reconciliation of all payrolls to ensure that all payments are made accurately and on time.
- Undertake payroll auditing, ensuring payments are being made accurately and in line with BCH policies and statutory regulations. Use payroll expertise to identify and investigate any anomalies and provide assurance that internal controls are effective and adequate.
- Validation of data prior to input to the payroll systems, where required.
- Process and review claims for mileage allowances and expenses to ensure they are being claimed in accordance with Force policies and HMRC rules.
- Keep abreast of legislative and regulatory changes along with the interpretation and application of statutory payment and deduction rules, BCH rules and staff handbooks to ensure all payments are accurate and in accordance with statute.
- Interpretation and application of BCH policies, and VAT and Income Tax rules.
- Assist with the preparation of all year-end procedures, reports and submissions to HMRC.
- Undertake payroll activities and processes with the ability to meet deadlines and achieve objectives under pressure.
- Provide reports and information in support of devolved budget holders and Senior Management.
- Provide certified written and oral information to third party agencies (HMRC, CSA, etc.), insurance companies and solicitors in respect of third-party claims and banks and building societies in respect of mortgage reference enquiries ensuring the Forces are not misrepresented.
- Provide reports and statistics on payroll information required by ACPO, PRRB, PSSC, HMI and other agencies.
- Resolve employee enquiries on all aspects of the payroll and related expenditure.
- Liaise with employees/pensioners who have been overpaid and negotiate repayment terms.
- Liaise with the Pension Administrators as appropriate, providing information and average salary calculations to ensure accurate and timely payments are made.
- Review working practices, as part of continuous improvement, to identify the most effective and efficient payroll processes and procedures.
- Deliver induction sessions for all new staff and Officers providing information on pay and pensions, answering all payroll related questions and providing a first point of contact.
- Assist in the training of new payroll staff.
Skills and Knowledge (essential):
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent including English and Mathematics
- Qualification in payroll administration (CIPP) or a minimum of 2 years demonstrable payroll experience
- Proven current technical payroll, pensions, and tax knowledge.
- Proven experience of using computerised payroll systems and spread sheets.
- Fast and accurate keyboard skills
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to negotiate.
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve objectives under pressure.
- Good analytical skills
- The ability to quickly develop a good understanding of Regulations, Staff terms and conditions, Local Government and Pension Schemes
- Ability to exercise discretion in interpreting Regulations, statute and force policies as precedent does not always exist.
- An appreciation of Constabulary activities and wider service issues
- A flexible approach to working.
Apply online or contact Terri O’Keefe on 01925 377 878. You can also email email@example.com for more information on this role.